Sunday, August 31, 2008

GK McPhail

In early July I went to Melbourne to present a paper at the Australian Historical Association's conference (I am working on adding a podcast of my presentation to the blog, so watch this space!)

My dad Peter and I took the opportunity to meet with George McPhail's daughter Judith, her son Andrew and nephew Bruce (and talk to Judith's son Graeme by phone). This was the first time we've had a chance to meet fellow descendants of the Kibble boys. Some of the research into George's youth has come as a surprise to his family so I'm glad we had the opportunity to talk about it more in person.

It was really interesting to learn more about George's life and particularly amazing to discover that the McPhails had formerly lived in the one of the houses that dad grew up in! I look forward to keeping in touch.

No comments: